ubuntu for Internet cafe
Tom Sparks
2010-06-13 09:09:14 UTC
I am wondering if there is a version of ubuntu for an internet cafe?
Is there a installable read-only (liveCD like) version of ubuntu?

tom_a_sparks
Light travels faster then sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Basil Chupin
2010-06-13 12:58:32 UTC
Post by Tom Sparks
I am wondering if there is a version of ubuntu for an internet cafe?
Is there a installable read-only (liveCD like) version of ubuntu?
I don't understand....the Ubuntu CD is a Live CD using which you can run
Ubuntu to do most, but not all, things or you can install Ubuntu (Lucid
for example) using this Live CD.

You can even create a Live USB memory stick/flash drive (by using the
Create Starup Disc) from an insallation of 10.04.

What exactly are you asking help about?

BC
--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
James Madison
Tom Sparks
2010-06-14 00:40:03 UTC
From: Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Re: ubuntu for Internet cafe
To: "Basil Chupin" <blchupin at iinet.net.au>
From: Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Post by Tom Sparks
Is there a installable read-only (liveCD like)
version
of ubuntu?
Post by Tom Sparks
? ?
I don't understand....the Ubuntu CD is a Live CD
using
which you can run
Ubuntu to do most, but not all, things or you can
install
Ubuntu (Lucid
for example) using this Live CD.
You can even create a Live USB memory stick/flash
drive (by
using the
Create Starup Disc) from an insallation of 10.04.
What exactly are you asking help about?
currently we use a program called Deep Freeze (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_%28software%29
) on our windows computers
the close likeness I seen is the ubuntu LiveCD

Is there a ubuntu like program?
tom

PS: sorry for relying to you off-list
Basil Chupin
2010-06-14 04:22:47 UTC
From: Tom Sparks<tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
To: "Basil Chupin"<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
From: Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Post by Tom Sparks
[...]
Don't worry about it :-) .

Your question is way beyond my level of knowledge. Somebody else would
more than likely have the answer for you.

But have a look here:

and here:

but then do a google search on "deep freeze + ubuntu".

BC
--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
James Madison
Mitch Towner
2010-06-14 05:07:15 UTC
From: Tom Sparks<tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
To: "Basil Chupin"<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
From: Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Post by Tom Sparks
[...]
Hi Tom,
Have you thought about setting up the systems exactly how you want them
& using the guest account?

Also, something that *may* be worth looking into is Pessulus. There is
an interesting article on Pessulus at
http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/add-restrictions-to-your-ubuntu-system-with-lockdown-editor-pessulus/

I haven't personally used that app, but I had it recommended to me by
someone a while ago. Also, it's in the "main" repository so it should be
easy enough to try out & see if it does what you need.

I hope this helps

Warm Regards,
Mitch Towner (kermiac)
http://mitchtowner.net/
Paul Gear
2010-06-14 06:20:59 UTC
Post by Basil Chupin
Post by Tom Sparks
currently we use a program called Deep Freeze (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_%28software%29
) on our windows computers
the close likeness I seen is the ubuntu LiveCD
Is there a ubuntu like program?
tom
PS: sorry for relying to you off-list
Don't worry about it :-) .
Your question is way beyond my level of knowledge. Somebody else would
more than likely have the answer for you.
but then do a google search on "deep freeze + ubuntu".
Deep Freeze is available for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, so
it's likely that it could be hacked (possibly only with Faronics'
involvement) to work with Ubuntu:
http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeLinux.aspx

Paul
currently we use a program called Deep Freeze
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_%28software%29
) on our windows computers
the close likeness I seen is the ubuntu LiveCD
Is there a ubuntu like program?
tom
PS: sorry for relying to you off-list
Don't worry about it :-) .
Your question is way beyond my level of knowledge. Somebody else would
more than likely have the answer for you.
but then do a google search on "deep freeze + ubuntu".
Deep Freeze is available for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop,
so it's likely that it could be hacked (possibly only with Faronics'
http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeLinux.aspx
Paul
In the second reference I gave Tom there is actually a statement that
Faronics is soliciting info from Linux users re Deep Freeze; so it seems
that getting in touch with Faronics would be an excellent idea.

BC
--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
James Madison
Paul Gear
2010-06-14 06:34:13 UTC
Post by Basil Chupin
Post by Paul Gear
Deep Freeze is available for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop,
so it's likely that it could be hacked (possibly only with Faronics'
http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeLinux.aspx
Paul
In the second reference I gave Tom there is actually a statement that
Faronics is soliciting info from Linux users re Deep Freeze; so it seems
that getting in touch with Faronics would be an excellent idea.
The part of the second reference that talks about that is over 3 years
old. Since then, Faronics have actually released their Linux version
(for Novell SLED).

Deep Freeze is available for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop,
so it's likely that it could be hacked (possibly only with Faronics'
http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeLinux.aspx
Paul
In the second reference I gave Tom there is actually a statement that
Faronics is soliciting info from Linux users re Deep Freeze; so it seems
that getting in touch with Faronics would be an excellent idea.
The part of the second reference that talks about that is over 3 years
old. Since then, Faronics have actually released their Linux version
(for Novell SLED).
Ah, OK....3 years old :-) .

But I hardly think that SLED is something which "normal" users would
install where Deep Freeze would be needed. Novell claims that, in the
corporate world, they are second to Red Hat in popularity, but Ubuntu
outshines anyone of these (ie, or their derivatives) combined when it
comes to the "great unwashed", "let them eat cake", "punters".

BTW, this is not intended to be a "your thingie is smaller than my
thingie" thingie :-) .

BC
--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
James Madison
Dave Hall
2010-06-14 08:03:00 UTC
Post by Basil Chupin
Post by Paul Gear
Deep Freeze is available for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop,
so it's likely that it could be hacked (possibly only with Faronics'
http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/DeepFreeze/DeepFreezeLinux.aspx
But I hardly think that SLED is something which "normal" users would
install where Deep Freeze would be needed. Novell claims that, in the
corporate world, they are second to Red Hat in popularity, but Ubuntu
outshines anyone of these (ie, or their derivatives) combined when it
comes to the "great unwashed", "let them eat cake", "punters".
If you were a proprietary software vendor with a product that was
clearly marketed at the bigger end of town, then ubuntu is unlikely to
be top of your "distros to support list". It is still my experience
that large organisations using Linux generally opt for RHEL/SLE* rather
than ubuntu or debian.

Overall businesses which are willing to pay for RH/SUSE, are more likely
to fork out for other software too. Many of the dual licensed and
proprietary business tools for Linux target these distros as that is
where the money is.

As an example how much software that you run under Linux (any distro)
have you paid money for? In my case I only pay for Zend Studio as the
code refactoring tool pays for itself many times over in a year. On the
other hand, I don't pay for Zimbra which I use and deploy for clients as
I can use FOSS tools to make the open source version as good as the
proprietary version.

There is more to business decisions than just market share of a distro.
Generally the "likely to pay market" is more important for proprietary
software vendors.

Cheers

Dave
Paul Schulz
2010-06-15 00:21:54 UTC
You can install Ubuntu on a USB stick and boot from that.

- unetbootin - General tool for putting an ISO
image onto a USB stick
- usb-createor-gkk (or -kde) - Ubuntu specific tool.

so.. if you have an iso (CD or DVD) that does what you want, you can
get to boot from
from a USB stick (and possibly also a hard drive).

This might help but tit isn't the whole solution.

On the other hand, you could sell the Ubuntu-on-a-stick (4GB is
apparently sufficient) and then they
can take it away with them.

Cheers,
Paul
Post by Basil Chupin
Basil Chupin
2010-06-15 04:54:10 UTC
Post by Paul Schulz
You can install Ubuntu on a USB stick and boot from that.
- unetbootin - General tool for putting an ISO
image onto a USB stick
- usb-createor-gkk (or -kde) - Ubuntu specific tool.
so.. if you have an iso (CD or DVD) that does what you want, you can
get to boot from
from a USB stick (and possibly also a hard drive).
This might help but tit isn't the whole solution.
On the other hand, you could sell the Ubuntu-on-a-stick (4GB is
apparently sufficient) and then they
can take it away with them.
I have the Lucid iso residing on a 4GB USB flash.

Only slight hassle is that you will not get sound to work. If this is no
hassle then its fine.

One last comment: if installing the CD Live on a USB stick then you
would need to consider the speed of the USB stick - you would probably
want to use one of the fastest around (Corsair) for which you would be
paying ~$31 + freight from Sydney.

BC
Post by Paul Schulz
Cheers,
Paul
Post by Basil Chupin
James Madison
Tom Sparks
2010-06-15 05:33:40 UTC
From: Paul Schulz <paul at mawsonlakes.org>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
You can install Ubuntu on a USB stick
and boot from that.
- unetbootin? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ???- General tool for
putting an ISO
image onto a USB stick
- usb-createor-gkk (or -kde) - Ubuntu specific tool.
so.. if you have an iso (CD or DVD) that does what you
want, you can
get to boot from
from a USB stick (and possibly also a hard drive).
This might help but tit isn't the whole solution.
On the other hand, you could sell the Ubuntu-on-a-stick
(4GB is
apparently sufficient) and then they
can take it away with them.
Cheers,
Paul
<snip>
I know about the Ubutu-on-a-*
but I need to download a new ISO for ever update

tom
Basil Chupin
2010-06-15 07:43:16 UTC
From: Paul Schulz<paul at mawsonlakes.org>
To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
[...]
Why?

BC
--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
James Madison
David Fawcett
2010-06-15 08:34:37 UTC
Hey Tom,

If I was going to run an internet cafe (I'm assuming 15-20 users at once
here) and wanted to restrict what my users could do with the PCs then I
would consider running a server and thin clients out to each of the
desktops.

The term is virtualization, or more specifically for your needs: desktop
virtualization.

Just to be even handed about this it's my understanding that RedHat does
this sort of think particularly well although Ubuntu Server is certainly
capable.

Here is a Redhat video about desktop virtualization:
http://www.redhat.com/virtualization/rhev/desktop/

Wikipedia article for LTSP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Terminal_Server_Project

Neat video on how to install and setup LTSP:

The benefits of virtualization are:
- Lower cost of deployment on large scales
- Less power use
- More secure
- Users can't 'ruin' the operating system
- Each user can get their own virtual operating system, this can be saved in
it's existing state for repeat customers, or wiped clean and reloaded from
scratch

Since you don't need a hard drive all you really need from the thin client
you can pick them up pretty darn cheap. For example: with a 1gb stick of ram
this would probably do quite nicely:
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-zbox-zboxsd-id10-u-intel-atom-nm-10-express-1-66-ghz-dual-core-all-in-one-mini-pc.html

Still, scale is very important to making this worth while and I'm not sure
how large your internet cafe is.
Post by Tom Sparks
I am wondering if there is a version of ubuntu for an internet cafe?
Is there a installable read-only (liveCD like) version of ubuntu?
tom_a_sparks
Light travels faster then sound, which is why some people appear bright,
until you hear them speak
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
From: David Fawcett <omniwoof at gmail.com>
To: "Tom Sparks" <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
Cc: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Hey Tom,
If I was going to run an internet cafe (I'm assuming 15-20 users at once
here) and wanted to restrict what my users could do with the PCs then I
would consider running a server and thin clients out to each of the
desktops.
diskless version could do the same and can play videos locally
We only have 6 computers that the public can use running windows XP/2003
I am getting the feeling that they want to upgrade them to vista :(
I would like to install one with ubuntu (but I cant see that happening)
tom sparks
No worries Tom, I just thought I'd throw the idea out there. ;)

Do you mind if I ask what exactly your clients requirements are? What do
they want to achieve in the end?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
--- On *Tue, 15/6/10, David Fawcett /<omniwoof at gmail.com
From: David Fawcett <omniwoof at gmail.com
<mailto:omniwoof at gmail.com>>
To: "Tom Sparks" <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
<mailto:tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>>
Cc: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com>
Hey Tom,
If I was going to run an internet cafe (I'm assuming 15-20
users at once here) and wanted to restrict what my users could
do with the PCs then I would consider running a server and
thin clients out to each of the desktops.
diskless version could do the same and can play videos locally
We only have 6 computers that the public can use running windows XP/2003
I am getting the feeling that they want to upgrade them to vista :(
I would like to install one with ubuntu (but I cant see that happening)
tom sparks
No worries Tom, I just thought I'd throw the idea out there. ;)
Do you mind if I ask what exactly your clients requirements are? What
do they want to achieve in the end?
Now it has taken 2 days and 6 posts to get to this stage - and the
answers are still to come.

Wouldn't it be so very nice if people would give all the details about
their "problem" right from the start and save a lot of time?..... :-)

(I guess I am making this point because I had a dental appointment today
and getting information reminded me of "just like pulling teeth" :-D .)

BC
--
Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society.
James Madison

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
No worries Tom, I just thought I'd throw the idea out there. ;)

Do you mind if I ask what exactly your clients requirements are?
What do they want to achieve in the end?
I thought someone would have distro for internet cafes by now :(
also you need to download stuff from medibuntu (flash, non-free codec, etc) for the ISO images

tom

-------------- next part --------------
Post by David Fawcett
Do you mind if I ask what exactly your clients requirements are? What do
they want to achieve in the end?
I thought someone would have distro for internet cafes by now :(
also you need to download stuff from medibuntu (flash, non-free codec, etc)
for the ISO images
Well yes, however it's that way with any distribution - and not just linux
distros. Windows or Mac OS also don't ship with flash, java or all the
audio and video codecs you will want.

If you are curious it's a licencing issue, not a technical issue.

I'm sorry I'm still unclear about exactly what you are looking to achieve in
your internet cafe or even what an internet cafe specific distro would
include (and exclude).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
sorry, for the late reply
the more I think about a custom Distro, may be the best option

something based on Zorin OS (http://zorin-os.webs.com/)

so how hard is to create a custom Distro?

David Fawcett
2010-06-17 17:27:11 UTC
Post by Tom Sparks
sorry, for the late reply
the more I think about a custom Distro, may be the best option
something based on Zorin OS (http://zorin-os.webs.com/)
so how hard is to create a custom Distro?
Ohhh dear.

Tom, please don't go there and guys, please just let this slide.

Suffice to say Tom that creating a distro is non-trivial and certainly not
necessary to meet your requirements and probably not a good idea to pursue
in general.

It's also a political issue, the general feeling you'll get from people in
the broader linux community can be summed up: 'Another distro? Why? Isn't
there enough divergence of energy and resources already?'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
the more I think about a custom Distro, may be the best option

something based on Zorin OS (http://zorin-os.webs.com/)

so how hard is to create a custom Distro?
Ohhh dear.
Tom, please don't go there and guys, please just let this slide.
I am the only one who is want a ubnutu system at the internet cafe, and the only way is to demo it in the wild, but I don't want to keep repeating the same steps (download this, download that)

so what about a custom liveCD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization ) ?
or should I just look at persistent image?

-------------- next part --------------
Post by Tom Sparks
I am the only one who is want a ubnutu system at the internet cafe,
and the only way is to demo it in the wild, but I don't want to keep
repeating the same steps (download this, download that)
so what about a custom liveCD
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization ) ?
or should I just look at persistent image?
I run an ubuntu powered internet cafe for a small town in country
Victoria. They are currently running Hardy on 3 P4s.

I have an NFS server which stores all the home directories, the machines
automatically login after 15 seconds. Accounts are stored in LDAP to
make it easier to swap machines out.

Some of the files are marked as read only. I still need to do more work
lock things down, but overall it works well. They used to have at least
an issue a week when they were running XP, now there is something minor
for me to look at once or twice a month.

Cheers

Dave
Norm, VK3XCI
2010-06-19 00:25:22 UTC
Dave,

Where in country vic... reply offlist if you wish?

Can you document what you did? I'm sure there aremore people than me
interested. I'm ramping up my own (very) small business at the moment and it
sounds like something to run with!

73 de Norm, VK3XCI
Mildura, Australia
The Wintersun City
QF15bt.
Post by Mitch Towner
Hi Tom,
Scott Evans
2010-06-19 01:51:44 UTC
NOTE TO SELF: click reply to all!

err OK I have a link here that talks about

http://www.category5.tv/content/view/512/11/

Viewer Question: My boss would like to setup some workstations in the
highschool computer lab with Ubuntu Linux. I'd like to make it so the
students cannot change system settings. How can I do this?
Using Pessulus to setup a kiosk on Ubuntu Linux.

So sorry I can't recall what time in the episode it talks about this...
But I hope this helps in some way
--
Scott Evans <scott at vk7hse.hobby-site.org>
Hi Norm,
Post by Norm, VK3XCI
Dave,
Where in country vic... reply offlist if you wish?
Newstead, about 430kms drive SE.
Post by Norm, VK3XCI
Can you document what you did? I'm sure there aremore people than me
interested. I'm ramping up my own (very) small business at the moment and it
sounds like something to run with!
I plan on getting back into blogging soon, once I do more with the
internet cafe I will post something about it. There isn't that much to
cover really at this stage, other than what was in the email you replied
to.

If you are ever coming down to Newstead, give me some notice and we can
meet up if I am around and not too busy.

Cheers

Dave
Post by Norm, VK3XCI
Post by Mitch Towner
Hi Tom,
Tom Sparks
2010-06-18 04:27:09 UTC
From: Dave Hall <dave.hall at skwashd.com>
To: "Tom Sparks" <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
Cc: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
Hi Tom,
?
Post by Tom Sparks
or should I just look at persistent image?
I run an ubuntu powered internet cafe for a small town in
country
Victoria.? They are currently running Hardy on 3 P4s.
<snip>
I am only there two day a week, and currently I have no support to setup a ubuntu computer from management, currently we have 5 computer running win XP or 2003, I am hoping to get one of them running ubuntu, but I want to prove the idea to management.

tom
Dave Hall
2010-06-18 09:55:30 UTC
Post by Tom Sparks
Post by Dave Hall
I run an ubuntu powered internet cafe for a small town in
country
Victoria. They are currently running Hardy on 3 P4s.
<snip>
I am only there two day a week, and currently I have no support to
setup a ubuntu computer from management, currently we have 5 computer
running win XP or 2003, I am hoping to get one of them running ubuntu,
but I want to prove the idea to management.
I have left the machines and gone overseas for 2 months to return 2
working perfectly and 1 having a firefox profile locked. Got an old
junk PC lying around? Run it up with ubuntu and demo that. dd the disk
onto the other machines if they accept it.

Cheers

Dave
Tom Sparks
2010-06-18 10:30:36 UTC
From: Dave Hall <dave.hall at skwashd.com>
To: "Tom Sparks" <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
Cc: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 21:27 -0700,
--- On Fri, 18/6/10, Dave Hall <dave.hall at skwashd.com>
Post by Dave Hall
country
Victoria.? They are currently running Hardy
on 3 P4s.
<snip>
I am only there two day a week, and currently I have
no support to
setup a ubuntu computer from management, currently we
have 5 computer
running win XP or 2003, I am hoping to get one of them
running ubuntu,
but I want to prove the idea to management.
I have left the machines and gone overseas for 2 months to
return 2
working perfectly and 1 having a firefox profile
locked.? Got an old
junk PC lying around?? Run it up with ubuntu and demo
that.? dd the disk
onto the other machines if they accept it.
what I am think is doing a custom liveCD (remove everything except firefox, VLC, openoffice and installing flash and all the media codec)
the reason why I chosen Zorin OS is because of the windows-like GUI (no reteaching the customers) and it is based on ubuntu

I have been noticing I have been using my ubuntu netbook more and more
for basic thing like virus scanning usb-sticks (when the windows computers decide to reboot upon inserting the stick)

I have yet to test if the computers can boot off a usb stick/CD-ROM (crossing my fingers)
noticed the F1 option for the boot menu :)

the printer could also be an issue, I know is "RICOH Aficio" connected to the network

I am the only one with knowledge of using ubuntu, so I'll have to boot the computer into ubuntu when i get there and reboot it back into windows when I leave for the day

tom